Thursday 9 October 2008

Title sequences break down.

Hello,
I thought i'd take out the time to do a break down of my after effects channel four horror season title sequences. This is not the one i am going to use in my final ident, but it is close to it.

I am not that great at after effects, only been using it a week, but i hope this helps anybody having trouble. It's not a tutorial, but more of an order.
First off here is the sequences.


Right, the first thing i did was make a composition and then imported a channel 4 logo from the net and colour corrected to black and white. Then i animated it. The scale first, key framing it from large to small. The 3D and light/colour effect i didn't add till the very end. After that i added the FEAR text, which goes from right to left, getting bigger. The idea was to have it coming from behind the 4. I used an effect called "glow" to...yes that's right, make it glow. I key framed the brightness to dim in and out, i did this to make it more eye catching.
OK, then i key framed each individual letter of the "horror season" to fall down at different speeds to get the fallen, drip feel. The last bit for this first part was a simple opacity fade of the coming soon...

Once i was happy with the time scale of this i opened a new composition and dragged my previous one in. I did this so i could work with all the elements as a whole. I can later go back to that first composition edited it and it will change in this new second composition.

Ok, I made the whole sequence a 3D layer and added a spot light and 25mm camera. I key framed the light to change from a light yellow to a dark red, which helps translate the theme. I edit the features within the spot light, for example the intensity and feathering. Then i key framed the camera to zoom out on a tilt, then square up with the red light and lastly zoom in right towards the 4. This gives you the feel that the 4 is moving around much more than it actually is.

No comments: