Friday 16 October 2009

A director in a nutshell.

I am a director so deal with it.


I've spent the last week depressed or soul searching. I felt like I didn't know where I was heading. But after some heavy thinking and picking at other peoples brains I've realised that I've been acting as the director much better than I thought. I've never known what a director actually does, you just think he's the man behind the camera shouting at people. The way I can explain a director to myself is, the director is like the manager of a football team. The producer is the chairman and the cast and crew are the staff and players. Being a big football fan I probably know more about the ins and outs of managing (from playing sim games) than I do about directing. Switching the knowledge over is very easy, in a strange way they're very similar. The manager has the vision, he picks his staff and players carefully to achieve that vision, and ultimately he has the final say and match day. I assume (not having been a football manager) that he also picks up all the parts nobody else wants to do.

I've not realised until this week, but I've been playing the directors role very well. I'm going to take it up a notch, Its hard when your working with friends to be an hard arse, but thats my job. Its also my jobs to keep morale up and make sure everyone knows what is going on.


I feel I have learnt a lot this week about the pre-production stage, myself and my future.

No comments: