Tuesday 13 October 2009

Home made Studio!

Robert Rodriguez puts these amazing film schools on his DVDs. RR is a maverick filmmaker and he gives out his secrets on these bonus features. He has influenced me a lot, but I don't think he is always right. What I do like from these bonus features is how he makes it look all-so-easy. He gives you great confidence that if you work hard and have a goal it can be achieved, but also achieved on a budget. I would love to see a lecture with him.


There a lot of good tips, but what I'd like to chat about is a feature he did on his home. He has converted his garage with a few extensions I imagine into his very own studio. It not quite Sky Walker ranch, but very impressive. He has a massive editing and sound mixing desk. A section to record music and ADR/folly. Editing station. A sound stage, with green screens. Not in his house but not far away he has an effects house, but in his house he has a computer and phone with a direct link to it. There are some other parts too. Thats my dream. My ambition is to have a ace setup like that. I like to be involved in all areas of production and get kicks out of pissing about with equipment. Especially sound, I think this passion comes from being a musician. I'm still very much interested in playing and recording music, but with film I'm fascinated with folly sound.


I don't really know where I'm going with this post, but it as some meaning. Recently I have been doubting my ability as a filmmaker, I think it might be a creative dry patch or not having a clear direction where I'm going. The perfect dream would be to leave college and be-able to work on films only. Realistically thats not viable, the three of us (Graeme, Mark and I) have been chatting about starting our own business. Graeme and I did some work over the summer, but I can imagine if we did a lot of that corporate work I'd start hating filmmaking. Maybe not though.


Think I need a confidence boost about the whole thing.

No comments: