Tuesday 15 December 2009

Sound. Part 5. Foley.

Reflections on the Foley.


I've very much enjoyed creating my own foley sounds. Its been something I've wanted to do since the beginning of the course.


I knew it was going to be a difficult task, but I hadn't realised how difficult. I've always set my ambitions high, I wanted to create a film quality sound design. Starting with no experience I should have been aware that just recording the sounds would have been an achievement. But I pushed and pushed the boundaries of what I knew and what was available to me. I didn't have a budget and had to use money from my own pocket to buy the material, plus the sound equipment wasn't great for this use. I feel the outcome is far better than using somebody else's pre-recorded sounds. The foley of the hammer and other objects being put down or picked up is that good that you do not even notice they have been dubbed.


There are some sounds that could been better the slap round the neck and as mentioned before the chains. As a first attempt I am more than pleased.


I do not think it is a area I will continue to do. The foley is an entire project in its own right. To do it justice you need several weeks, not one.


My aim was to teach myself the capabilities and limitations and I've certainly done that. I know I am a better filmmaker for it. The main thing is I'm proud that I even attempted it, but the fact that it looks good will make me point it out to everybody that views it.

No comments: