Thursday 26 November 2009

Production Crit.

The order of the next few posts will be a bit topsy turvy. I've fallen behind a bit with blogging, and have lots to yell about. I've got many half written blogs and will probably get uploaded in the wrong order, but fingers crossed they'll all get done by the end of the week despite.



In this post I will be talking about the Production Crit we had at college today. I should probably save this for when I've caught up with the unfinished posts. However it's fresh in my mind.



I've spent the last week or so making foley sound. I created over 100 sounds, using various material (there will be a video blog for this when I've finished). Never done any foley really. On The Payoff we tried recording everything in mic on set, which was a massive mistake. Researching foley I realised how big apart of filmmaking it is. I know the basics of sound recording from being in a band and recording bands. I don't have much sound equipment. I pieced together a micro studio by lending the Boom mic from college, my old mini mixing desk and garage band. The Boom mic is great for dialogue, but isn't the best for picking up the detail. Anyway there will be a video blog explaining all this.



I went into the Crit rather happy, the visuals look nice and very close to what we planned and story boarded, the rough edited is almost there, colour isn't finished but the in camera colour wasn't bad anyway and I was very pleased with the progress I made with the sound.



Thinking about what was said after we showed the two sequences I cannot think of anything constructive about the feedback. I felt demotivated, I think I feel like this because I was happy with the progress and knowing where we are with a little over two weeks left means we can really make them look special.



My sound got very critised which was upsetting, knowing the time spent on it and being the first attempt at making our own foley. On reflection I feel I've achieved a lot. To say I started out with no sound, and now the whole piece is alive. Yes of course it isn't going to be perfect, because its a first edit, but I felt it deserved some recognition for even attempting to make our own sound. In this era it is so easy to use archived samples or pluggins or download somebody else's work from the net.



Anyway, I won't take it personally. Criticism is great, but it needs putting into context.

No comments: