Saturday 28 November 2009

Social Networks

I tried doing this online networking at the end of the college 2nd year, but i didn't have much work to shout about. My showreel was very weak and unimpressive. However, within a few months my showreel has become much better. The new college equipment has helped loads, you can shoot anything and it looks beautiful.

Mike and Annabeth kept telling me last year I have to get more short films under my belt. I never understood how I could fit this into my schedule. When practicing with the equipment this year Mark, Graeme and I shot two little sequences. They were silly, but fun and I now realise that this is what Mike and Annabeth meant by short film. When I hear short film I think 0f a 5 to 30 minutes, when actually 30-120 seconds is enough. I learnt so much from shooting these two little films, the very basics of filmmaking. The current project we are working on is similar. Two short sequences to learn new techniques. I wrote a post a month or two ago about how great these are.

I've story boarded three new short sequences. I don't think you can call them short films. I'm going to start advertising for actors over the next week. Hopefully I can have them shot before the end of the year, or at least in January. The great thing about these shorts is you can rehearse and shoot within a working day.

Going back to the networking. If I can keep producing these shorts then it gives me something to upload. I think the key to success on the net is being consistent.

Making short sequences will improve my skills, showreel, and hopefully get me a following.

I'm members of most the common social sites, but I bet there are loads out there. I'll post links at the bottom of the page, please add or subscribe yourself to my profile. If you know of any other sites please comment this post.

On the video sites I have set up groups dedicated to Leeds filmmakers to hopefully get a network you the area going. So far it hasn't caused much of a buzz, but starting it is the first step I suppose.

Anyway the links

YOUTUBE
VIMEO
DAILYMOTION
BLIP
MYSPACE
DAILYBOOTH
TWITTER

I know of a few others but I haven't set them up yet. On the video sites instead of uploading the same shorts on each of them at the same time, I'm trying to vary them to keep it interesting. On daily booth I've started to take screen grabs of the shorts or pictures of me on set. Thats worked very well. I'm not sure what to do with myspace, Its a hassle to add people. After 10 people you have to start putting in codes, and I haven't had much response from it yet.

I am however enjoying setting things up and receiving comments. Its very rewarding.

Cheers.

No comments: