Saturday 25 October 2008

Evaluation. Ident

Evaluation.
James Wall
FEAR Ident.

I thought this was a good project to start the new year off with, a short interesting piece. When given the brief I was immediately drawn to the “Fear” option, although I did consider and have a good think about the other three. I wouldn’t say that horror/thriller is my comfort zone, but I do think at this stage horror is easier to create and make look good.
I dived straight into this brief and started planning and creating off the mark. After the short horror film we did at the end of last year I had a much better idea of time keeping. This year I have bought myself a pocket diary and so far I am keeping to it well. I think there is still room for improving in time keeping, by the middle of the project I started to stray, but pulled it together by the end.

Learning After Effects as been a massive plus. Never used it before the brief and I feel it came natural and I can open the software positively and know my way round it. I believe the most impressive after effecting section of my ident is the person appearing around the strange steps. I think this because I had to mask the person onto the steps and then I masked a static TV signal in the same shape to make it look like the person were tuning in and out, much like on the Ring.

I also think my Final Cut editing skills are getting loads better. I seemed to be-able to edit quickly and have learnt the key board short cuts. However, I am still have great difficulty getting my exporting right. At the moment I like to export a quick time reference movie out of Final Cut then export it again through After Effects.

Looking back over my work I would have liked my presentation to be more professional. I do think my presentations are becoming more confident and I’m starting believe in myself, that I do have something to provide and be proud of. And, I think that is the key to a good professional presentation, if you believe in yourself than others will too. I know I have the ambition to want to do well, but now I have to convert that ambition into confidence.

Overall I am pleased with the outcome of this brief. In the way I have worked as an individual and known when to ask others for help. For example when filming I knew I couldn’t do it by myself, so I made sure I planned time with another student to get it done. This was probably the first brief I felt completely comfortable that I was going to get all the work done on time, (besides this evaluation).

Now I am looking forward to tackling the next brief, knowing that I am not worrying and I am pleased with this ident brief.

No comments: