Monday 4 February 2008

Final Magazine Layout


This is my final piece. I feel i could have done better.

My evaluation:
The meaning of this project was to create a magazine layout and then make that into a website. My initial thoughts were this should be easy. However the more progressed into the project I realised these is a massive difference between screen and print, text looks smaller on screen than it does on print. Colours are also different. The size of images may also change, the difference in pixels is huge, 300 for print and only 72 for web. These may all seem like small problems, but when put together they turn into one big problem.

To tackle these inconveniences I had to learn a few programs. In Design, Dreamweaver and I had to learn an understanding of HTML ad CSS. To help with the design I used techniques I had learnt from previous projects, Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator. The only program I had difficulty with was In Design; this is a program that is completely new to me. I feel I need to learn how to work to properly to be able to create something to industry standards.. This is something I will catch up on in my spare time.

I preferred the web design to the magazine layout, but I still found CSS coding very hard. I believe I have a good understanding of HTML, however I don’t think this is a lasting code and is being slowly replaced by CSS. Although I can’t see why you would use CSS on a three page website, I can see the massive advantages of CSS on a ten to hundred page site, but for something like this project HTML should be sufficient.

Looking over my final pieces as a whole I am fairly disappointed with the way they have turned out. I think with more time or better time management I could create something superior to what I have done. I would use this time to improve on the software and coding I had trouble with. Also I think the website what have looked nicer with a better navigation, however when you have a three page website it is hard to make one bigger and more in depth.
I am pleased with the magazine layout; I kept fine-tuning and improving little aspects. I don’t think it would cut it in a real magazine. There are areas that make it look unprofessional. I feel the font is still too big, which makes it look childish. The layout as a whole isn’t very experimental.

I can clearly say that a future in either magazine or web design is not for me. I enjoy the graphics side. Creating fonts, graphics and illustrating, but the actual building process, the putting together of the site and layout, the coding I find frustrating and not enjoyable.

No comments: