Tuesday 21 July 2009

John Hughes Teen Movie extraordinaire.

This is a short blog about John Hughes Teen Movie extraordinaire.

Today I'm paying my respect to 80's Writer, Producer and Directing maestro John Hughes, creator of the "Brat Pack"

I've just finished watching Sixteen Candles, it's a simple film, but fun on so many levels.

When I was younger, from the tender age of 4 onwards I can remember enjoying JH films. Weird Science, The Great Outdoors, Uncle Buck and Home Alone were amongst my favorites. And even now has an adult I still love those movies and as I've grown up I've gone back to his other classics, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller, Planes Trains and Automobiles and loads more.



JH tapped into a creative output that was acceptable for all the family, kids, teens and adults and thats very rare, the only other thing that springs to mind that also does this is The Simpsons.

JH made several teen movies, and these are my favorite JH films, the best being Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He managed to make these movies funny and cool without being rude and crude, like the teen movies of today. His choice of cast are perfect for their parts, and he probably saved Anthony Michael Hall from a lot of bullying. I actually think Anthony Michael Hall is cool from JH films, and that saying something, because Anthony Michael Hall is the biggest looking geek on the planet.



JH must be a big influence on many directors/producers working now, two that spring to mind are Judd Apatow and Kevin Smith. You can clearly see JH style rubbed off into their films. JH also influenced the famously known "Frat Pack" including Owen Wilson, Ben Stiler, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and the rest.

I have a lot to thank JH, he caught my love of films at a early age and his clever filmmaking has brought me laughter as adult. For this I salute JOHN HUGHES!

It's a real shame that after the 80's his career went to shit. However John, you still made the 80's look cool and not many people could do that.













JOHN HUGHES IMdb LINK
My images found on GOOGLE

This blog has inspired me to do a series of video blogs on 80's cinema. Also I recently did a Video Review of Public Enemies, youtube LINK

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Today I'm paying my respect to 80's Writer, Producer and Directing maestro John Hughes,"
Even the way this is worded suggests some kind of mystical foresight. It's like you knew somehow. Weird.