Wednesday 30 July 2008

HD not for me.

My step dad has recently bought an HD TV and a blu-ray player (he has taken back the player because blu-rays are a little over priced).

I can't stand watching films or even programs on this new technology. It seems to make everything look tacky. I believe there is TOO much detail.

I watched a seminar With Robert Rodriguez not so long back, it was just after he finished filming Once Upon A Time In Mexico. It was the first film he shot in digital HD and he said you can't get enough detail. RR is one of my all time favs, but i have to disagree with him. I watched 10,000 BC a couple of nights ago, really bad film and not a good choice to test HD out, but i knew that before i put it on. Just wanted to see how bad. HD made it look unbelievably crap, it was like watching a film in layers, like a pop-up-book. The real layer with the actors and a set, then a layer of CGI mammoths and a green screen background. I'm not over-reacting it was that bad.

I thought it might just be 10,000 BC, so i checked the sky movie channels and saw Spider-Man 3 was on. I was blown away by Spider-Man 3 at the cinema and HD even made that look poo. I watched Frankenstein (the Rob De Niro one), which was made a while back, but i wanted to see what it did. And that looked really bad, you could clearly see that they were on a set and using stage lights. I dread to think what 300 looks like.

I think the film industry hasn't caught up to the TV technology yet. Old films will never look right on HD, but hopefully the future ones will.

No comments: